Could Urban Terror become the next Counter Strike?
The next Urban Terror update is gonna be really important. In my opinion is gonna equal the importance that the 3.0 and the 4.0 had in the past.
The 3.0 and the 4.0 created the game, but the next relase is going to perfect it. Urban Terror 4.2 is really going to tell if Urban Terror is going to have success or is doomed to be just one of the many.
In my opinion Urban Terror could become the next Counter Strike, and could even also replace it through time.
Counter Strike is suffering from the players splitting among different versions (mostly 1.6 and CS:Source) and also from the increasing popularity of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. Counter Strike is pretty similar to CoD due to its somehow realistic nature and Modern Warfare has more exposure among sponsors, media and so on. Counter Strike is getting old, and is lacking innovation. It plays in the same way since its first relase.
Think about how the wall jump and the powerslide have changed the way you play the game. The current Urban Terror gameplay is perhaps one of the most funny and flexible in this industry. You can rush with your Lr-300 while doing walljumps that will make Neo from Matrix blush or you can sneak up on enemies like a silent assassin.
But it still has that “retro” feel that needs to go away. 4.2 will bring in stuff like Bump Maps and refractions that will give a huge boost to the game visuals. Not to mentions the new animations made by Frankie V which we interviewed just a couple of days ago. It still needs to get more personality but the way seems right.
Frozen Sand is doing a great job and the game keeps remaining freeware. Counter Strike: Source is 15-20 bucks on Steam.
Also, Urban Terror is cross platform between Linux, Mac OS X and Windows. For every Mac user or Linux user looking for a good FPS is an obligated choice.
The time seems right. If Frozen Sand plays well his cards Urban Terror could see a great improvement over the next few years and if they want it might become more than just another free first person shooter.
What do you think? Where do you see Urban Terror in the next 5 years? Tell us in the comments! Also remember to subscribe to our RSS feeds to keep in touch with the latest articles.
- Funny things to try: The Counter-Strike Training Method Have you ever played Counter-Strike? I did a couple of times. Is quite funny but I can't live with walljumps. In Counter Strike you can't choose weapons from the start of the round. You start with the standard pistol and then you earn money during the round to buy equipment and weapons for the next round. So the first round is very particular since is basically pistol only. Also when you do certain actions like TeamKilling you loose money and it happens that you can't afford any weapon and stick with the standard pistol. I found this method to be funny when applied to Urban Terror and I use it as a training method once in a while when playing on public servers. Let's see how it works!...
- Two official Urban Terror 4.2 videos After a week of leaked material popping out everywhere, finally we got a word from Frozen Sand. Two videos showing off some gameplay from an early build of 4.2 just came out. The first thing that pops is the amazing work done on the map. Tombs looks very nice and we can also see the bump [...]...
- Urban Terror HD is here! Sort of.. Happy Holidays folks! Frozen Sand decided to celebrate with the release of Urban Terror HD Alpha 0.1. Be warned that this is not a full release. This is a public alpha test release. For now, it only runs on Windows (32bit) and looks like it’s v order cheap cialis online ery unstable. Frozen Sand stated that Linux [...]...
- 44 Magnum – Yet another sidearm for Urban Terror 4.2 Yesterday, Frozen Sand announced the introduction of (another) new sidearm in Urban Terror 4.2: The 44 Magnum. After the announcement of the Akimbo weapons, you could say that it was a matter of time. Still no infos about its stats but I guess it buy cialis online will have 6 bullets . Decoy, media manager at [...]...
- What Urban Terror could learn from Modern Warfare 2 edToolbar() Last year Modern Warfare 2 came out and it broke every sales record possible. This huge hit had a great story, tremendous gameplay but also a nearly-perfect multiplayer that fills public and private servers all ove generic viagra pills r the world. It seems that MW2 found just a great formula that keeps the [...]...